Friday, 7 August 2015

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Girlfriend of Steel 2nd English Translation 1.0

Yippee. The day has finally come and man oh man am I glad. It took quite some months and the greater part of my year to finish, but it was totally worth it and I am happy with the end result. And while I know that the translation may not be the greatest and downright atrocious at times, it’s certainly mediocre at worst (I hope) so you shouldn't be too cautious before trying it out. That said, I won't bother you with my ramblings for much longer so before I get all teary-eyed, I just want to mention that I didn't bother to translate the games ending credits. Yeah, I know, though everything else is so don't raise any pitchforks just yet. Anyhow, I really like how the chapter title cards turned out. I based them on as you probably guessed the episode title cards from the show, and they look great in-game, too. However, the original title cards were very lacklustre and lacked zest, so I wanted to improve the presentation of the game by changing them to how the show’s was. See below for comparison.
Now, I've said all that I wanted to say so let's get down to business. To apply the translation patch, there's just a few things you need to do. I'll explain why first, though. Since the game has graphics that needed to be changed/translated, I had to rebuild the games event file which contained them and then make a patch from it so I wouldn't have to upload a 500mb file with the translation. Though there's no need to do the same for the other games file (imgfrm.lb5) since it's of a small size. Anyhow, onto the instructions:

1. Dump all the files into the game directory and overwrite.
2. Use the included xdeltaUI program to apply the graphics patch like so:
  • Launch program
  • Select patch file (event.xdelta)
  • Select file to be patched (event.lb5 in game directory)
  • Select where to output the file and make sure to name it "event.lb5"
  • Select the patched file and replace the original games with it in the games directory 
3. Play the game.


Credits
Pearse Hillock                   - Translator/Proofreader/Production
MarcoL from Team GOS - For help with GOS2 Tools
GOS2 FAQ & Walkthrough - Misc scene translations

Update
A Kaworu-kun ending patch is now available. You can download it here.

Update 2 - 10th September - The Quickening - TL Notes
Forgot to upload these TL notes I made while translating the game. You can find the link here.

24 comments:

  1. awesome work! thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A not bad translation I'd say! I'm enjoying this a lot, so thank you for your dedication to this project truly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all your hard work, it's very appreciated!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoying a lot this game, thanks for your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks you very much for this great effort . I'm loving it. Now only remains the Evangelions 2 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, dude, thanks for translating this (I'm a huge Eva fan), but I can't figure out how to get the run. I've successfully created the patch; I just don't know what to do next. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you replace the game's files with the edited one (the patched)? That was in the instructions. Anyhow, after that just make sure you have the Japanese locale installed, and then run the exe with it.

      Delete
    2. Sorry again, but can you explain how to get the game working in the simplest English possible? I'm not that good at all that technical stuff; I just like to play anime video games. Again, thanks in advance

      Delete
    3. Umm, the instructions are straightforward enough, you know. Just patch the file, then drag and drop it into the games directory and overwrite. Simple. You shouldn't have problems with any of it.

      And read this for more on how to run JP games.
      http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php/328830-How-to-run-Japanese-games

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Thanks for the patch. But when i do that all and start the game it look like this : http://subefotos.com/ver/?870972c92ae47835d12c18bc2f9fd2e0o.png . Do u know something about it? im doing something wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No clue. It shouldn't appear like that. Maybe you patched it wrong.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Did you look? Though I removed it and many other things for the time being off my main blog here due to a DMCA for blogging about Higurashi Blu-ray releases and shit for some reason. Appealed but got shot down even though they're just pics of the release. Anyway, it's still on tumblr so you can find the game there.
      http://xpearse.tumblr.com/post/123206246339/neon-genesis-evangelion-girlfriend-of-steel-2nd

      Delete
    2. thanks. did you have download link rei ayanami raising project for PS2?. sorry my bad english

      Delete
    3. It's on my Evangelion page.
      http://pearsehillock.blogspot.co.uk/p/neon-genesis-evangelion.html

      Delete
  10. Again thanks for the translation, that was a good one as well.

    As for the game, I guess I liked the first one a tad better, but both still are quite enjoyable spin-off stories featuring all original voice actors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Not natively, but it should work through a windows emulator or sorts. I've heard of people doing that to get games running on MAC.

      Delete
  12. thanks for the patch but I have a problem, after copy the patch to the games' directory the game just don't work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hello, you could translate this game? http://devilman.wikia.com/wiki/Legend_of_Dynamic_Goushouden:_Houkai_no_Rondo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dios Mio , I never thought I would find this game translated,thank you very much!!

    ReplyDelete